You probably came across stones and crystals in a new age store or bohemian jewellery. Do you know that these stones and crystals are more than decorations and that have been used for centuries due to their healing properties?
Stones and crystals have a particular healing frequency that can bring balance to the chakras. This is an ancient knowledge that has been passed on through centuries. Even though science does not support this belief, people claim its effectivity and are still using this knowledge to bring healing and balance to the chakras.
Our body is a magnificent piece of biological engineering, always trying to keep us healthy and well. There are many mechanisms our body uses to maintain this balance. But sometimes, our body needs help to heal.
Alternative and holistic methods can help our body, mind, and soul create an environment where our body’s inner wisdom can heal itself.
What Are Chakras?
Chakras in the Sanskrit language mean wheel. So, you can think of chakras as wheels of energy in your body. According to the Hindu tradition, there are around 114 chakras in the human body. From these, 7 are the main chakra channels from which energy flows through the spine.
The energy in your body travels through energy channels, known as Nadis, connecting the 114 chakra points. The energy converges in the 7 main chakras, creating vortexes of energy. To understand the chakras, you can imagine them as centres of converging energy along your spinal cord.
The chakras form part of your energy body. This energy body has a vibrational frequency that acts as your life blueprint.
The awakening of the chakras can raise the Kundalini energy from the bottom of your spine to the top of your head, leading to higher consciousness.
Chakras always have energy flowing through them. When the chakras are balanced, they have the right amount of energy flowing through. But, when too little or too much energy passes through your chakras, they can become out of balance.
The seven chakras are:
- The Root Chakra or Mooladhara
- The Sacral Chakra or Swadhistana
- The Solar plexus Chakra or Manipura
- The Heart Chakra or Anahata
- The Throat Chakra or Vishuddhi
- The Third eye Chakra or Ajna
- The Crown Chakra or Sahasrara
What Happens When the Chakras Are out of Balance?
When the body’s energy flows freely through the nadis, the chakras receive the right amount of energy to work correctly. But when the energy flowing is excessive or insufficient, the chakras don’t receive the right amount of energy.
If this happens, chakras cannot provide the right amount of energy to keep the body in good health. Then discomforts, diseases, and imbalance manifest in different ways.
Chakras as energy centres always have some energy passing through them. Chakras can have low activity, a balanced and healthy activity, or an overactivity. Underactivity or overactivity are caused by an unbalance in your body and mind.
When your chakras are awake, your mind changes. This will be experienced as a balance in your life, your relationships and a sense of fulfilment. Your whole being will be in harmony. When the chakras are in balance, your health is good, and life flows better in general.
When your chakras are not working at their full potential, it’s considered that your chakras are out of balance or blocked. In this case, you will experience emotional distress or disease.
When this imbalance is present in the chakras, you will need to do something to heal your chakras. You will need to get some external help to bring them back to balance and heal your body.
Chakras and Healing
Everything in the universe is in a constant state of vibration. At the very core atoms and molecules are arranged in specific ways to create all the matter as we know it.
When you are healthy, your whole body is functioning in perfect balance. All the molecules and organs in your body are working just fine. But what happens when something goes out of balance?
Well, at some level within your body, something stops functioning at its optimal power. This causes an imbalance in your whole body.
Your body has inner wisdom to heal itself. When the disturbances are not too bad, your body brings back the balance. But when the imbalances are too much, your body takes longer to heal or may not even be able to come back to balance without external help.
Your body always tries to bring balance back to your body. But, sometimes, you experience physical and psychological discomforts in the form of pain. This pain manifests as headaches, backache, neckache, stomachache, anxiety, stress, depression, among others.
You may not think the same when you are in pain, but the pain is a good thing. Pain tells you when something is wrong and needs healing. Pain asks you to pay attention to yourself and to look after yourself.
Unfortunately, healing is not always fast enough, our body doesn’t recover, or sometimes circumstances don’t change, and we continue hurting ourselves.
To heal yourself, you need two things: a robust immune system for your body to come back to balance and an environment that allows you to heal. Stones and crystals provide a supportive environment for your chakras and your body to heal.
You can heal your chakras using one or more different techniques to bring them into balance, such as mantras, meditation, pranayama, and asanas. You can also enhance the healing process using stones, crystals, sound, essential oils, affirmations, colours, and eating certain food types.
Chakra Healing with Stones and Crystals
Crystals and stones have been used for centuries believing they have therapeutic power. The power of stones and crystals hasn’t been proved by science. So, it may just be a case of belief or faith, joined to positive thinking that will do the job.
Whether the power of stones and crystal is proven or not, many people genuinely believe in the benefits they receive from using stones and crystals. One thing is true: the placebo effect is real, it’s the power of your mind believing you can heal.
So, let’s have a look at how Stones and Crystals work.
Crystals and stones are believed to have the power to channel energy. When you place a crystal or stone on your body, it allows the energy of a specific vibration to flow into your body.
This vibration helps to align your body. The vibration brings those areas in your body to resonate at the same frequency as the crystals or stones. Hence, creating harmony in your body.
Crystals and stones may not be enough to cure your ailments, but they can help you create a more peaceful environment to support your healing process.
To bring your chakras into balance, you need to use the specific stones and crystals recommended for each chakra. Before you use any of the stones or crystals, there’s a little ritual you should perform.
Wash them under running water before using and leave them under sunlight or under full moonlight to purify them.
You can use different shaped stones and crystals. The size isn’t essential, even if they are small, they will still work.
Chakra Healing Meditation with Stones and Crystals
Chakra healing is like a therapeutic meditation where you focus on your body. As with any meditation, you need to have an intention before you start to heal your chakras. Think of what you want to heal and why.
You can follow this guide during your chakra healing meditation:
- Choose a quiet and undisturbed place.
- Sit down or lie down. Sitting down is best, so you don’t fall asleep.
- Cover yourself with a blanket or a shawl, so you don’t get cold during your healing practice.
- You can place the stones and crystals on the body in the area you wish to heal.
- Take a moment to breathe in and out to calm and ground yourself.
- Set your intention, set what it is that you want to heal in your body and mind.
- Meditate and place the stone over that area.
- Imagine the energy flowing from the universe into the stones or crystals you placed over your body.
- With every inhale, allow healing energy to flow into your body.
- With each exhale, let go of the pain and ailments in your body and soul.
- Feel the energy flowing from your root chakra and going up to your sacral chakra, then moving into your solar plexus, and your heart chakra, to move up to your throat chakra, your third eye to finally reach your crown chakra. Feeling how this white light flows freely up to your spine to your crown and flows out of your body, enveloping it in healing energy.
- Practice for about 30 minutes.
- When you finish, show gratitude to the crystals or stones for channelling healing energy to you.
I’ve been told many times by people doing crystal healing and by people selling crystals and stones that if you feel attracted to a particular stone without reason, it’s because you require that vibration.
So, this is your inner wisdom telling you, give me that crystal or stone, I need it. So go with your instinct and get it!
7 Chakra Healing Stones and Crystals
Now, let’s have a look at the crystals and stones that bring healing to each chakra.
You can bring balance to your chakras by using two types of crystals and stones.
One type of crystals and stones are used to energised the chakras when they are underactive. These are known as energising crystals or stones.
And the other type of crystals and stones are used to ground the chakras when they are overactive. These are known as grounding crystals or stones.
Place the respective stones over each of the chakras you wish to bring back to balance for 15-30 minutes.
The root chakra is found at the base of your spine around the perineum area and the legs.
- For an underactive root chakra use: bloodstone, red jasper, ruby, ruby aura quartz and garnet.
- For an overactive root chakra use: black tourmaline, haematite, obsidian, onyx, red and brown jasper, mahogany obsidian and smoky quartz.
The sacral chakra is found below your navel, in the pubic bone area.
- For an underactive sacral chakra use: orange carnelian, amber, sunstone and golden topaz.
- For an overactive sacral chakra use: red jasper, peach calcite, moonstone.
Solar Plexus Chakra
The solar plexus chakra is found above your navel by the diaphragm area.
- For an underactive solar plexus chakra use: citrine, golden topaz, amber, rutilated quartz, malachite, and yellow sapphire.
- For an overactive solar plexus chakra use: tiger’s eye, ametrine, aragonite and rhodochrosite
The heart chakra is located at the centre of the chest.
- For an underactive heart chakra use: rose quartz
- For overactive heart chakra use: chrysocolla, rhodonite, malachite, jade, and moss agate.
The throat chakra is found in your throat region.
- For an underactive throat chakra use: aqua aura, aquamarine, turquoise and blue topaz.
- For an overactive throat chakra use: blue lace agate, amazonite, aquamarine.
Third Eye chakra
The third eye chakra is found between your eyebrows at the pineal gland.
- For an underactive third eye chakra use: sapphire, blue topaz and quartz.
- For an overactive third eye chakra use: lapis lazuli, sodalite, amethyst, pearl and moonstone.
The crown chakra is found at the top of your head.
- For an underactive crown chakra use: selenite, celestite, Herkimer diamond, and amethyst.
- For an overactive crown chakra use: chrysanthemum stone, moonstone, pearl, white calcite, white agate, noble white opal.
Now, you know some of the healing powers of stones and crystals used for chakra healing.
Once you know if your chakras are blocked, you can use stones and crystals to bring them into balance. Some stones and crystals are better to balance underactive chakras, and others are better at balancing overactive chakras.
Try and give a go, to stones and crystal healing. Find out by yourself if this ancient technique has the power to heal you.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to heal chakras?
You can heal your chakras using one or more techniques that bring balance to your chakras, such as mantras, meditation, pranayama, and asanas. You can also enhance your chakras’ healing process with the use of stones, crystals, sound, essential oils, affirmations, colours, and eating certain types of food.
How many chakras are in the human body?
There are about 114 chakras in the human body. From these seven are the major chakras from which all the energy channels, called nadis, converge. The 7 chakras are the Root chakra, Sacral chakra, Solar plexus chakra, Heart Chakra, Throat Chakra, Third Eye Chakra and Crown Chakra.
How often should you balance the chakras?
Chakra balancing is something you should do as part of your regular health maintenance. When you do chakra healing for one or more chakras, you need to do it until your symptoms disappear. Bear in mind that everybody reacts differently. Some people may see improvements after a few sessions, and some may take a long time to bring their chakras and body into balance.
Do you like yoga, and do you also have a dog? Well, you have just fulfilled the two requirements to start a new experience called Dog Yoga. Dog yoga is a trend that has been around for almost 20...
Is goat yoga real? This must be the first question coming to your mind if you think of goats doing yoga. It was certainly mine. First, I thought it was a joke, but it’s not. If you after a new...