Chakras can get out of balance; when this happens, your energy is drained. You can bring your chakras back in balance with some healing techniques.
Chakra healing encompasses many different techniques to balance the energy in your body. When the energy doesn’t flow freely through your chakras because of physical trauma, emotional trauma, disease or loss, your chakras need healing. To heal your chakras, you can use sound, crystals, colour, food, meditation, pranayama, asanas, mantras, mudras and essential oils.
Chakra healing can help you balance your chakras to allow the free flow of energy through them. When your chakras have the right amount of energy, your body and mind are healthy. When you experience an energetic imbalance, you will experience different symptoms that will warn you something is off sync.
What Are Chakras?
Chakras are wheels or vortexes of energy located along your spine. In India, ancient cultures understood how the energy flows in the body and developed methods to control and balance this energy flow.
The Hindu tradition talks about 114 chakras in the human body. Seven of these chakras are the main energy centres where the energy comes and departs from. These 114 chakras connect between them by energy channels called nadis. The energy then converges in the seven chakras creating vortexes.
Chakras receive energy from the other parts of the body through the nadis. When the right amount of energy flows through them, you are healthy. But sometimes physical, or emotional trauma, and disease can affect the activity of the chakra.
A chakra with a low flow of energy is an underactive chakra. A chakra with more energy flow than normal is overactive. When a chakra is underactive or overactive affects other chakras. It can bring a further imbalance in your body and mind.
When your chakras are in balance, you are in harmony, and your health is good. But, when your chakras are out of balance or blocked, you will experience emotional distress or disease.
If all your chakras are balanced, you can awake to higher consciousness. You can have balance in your life and your relationships. Your whole being is in harmony, and you can experience fulfilment. By using mantras, meditation, pranayama, and asanas, you can bring your chakras to health.
Why Do Chakras Need Healing?
Your chakras need healing when the energy flowing through them is too much or too little to keep it balanced.
You can imagine each chakra as a point at the centre of a road’s crossing, or as roundabouts where several streets converge. The energy flowing through the streets are energy channels, known as Nadis. When the flow of energy is too much, the chakra is overactive. When little energy flows through the nadis, the chakra is underactive.
The energy from different parts of the body comes to a specific chakra. When your body, mind and spirit are healthy, your chakras are in balance, allowing the right amount of energy to flow.
When your chakras are awake and have energy flowing freely through them, your mind changes, you will experience harmony and fulfilment in your life. When all your chakras are active, you have the potential to experience a higher state of spiritual consciousness.
But when you experience physical or psychological traumas, your energy stops flowing freely, and you hold stagnant energy in some regions of your body, causing some areas not to have enough energy to function correctly.
It’s possible to have one or more chakras out of balance. The inner wisdom of your body will try to heal itself and compensate for this disbalance. Unfortunately, it can get to a point where one area affects others.
You can support your body’s healing by using holistic techniques that will help you bring your chakras in balance again.
What Is Chakra Healing?
Chakra healing uses different techniques to bring balance to your chakras so that energy flows freely through them.
There are several techniques for chakra healing. You can try one or more of these techniques to experience and see if they work for you.
Some people react better to sound therapy, for example. So for these people, Tibetan singing bowls could be helpful. Other people are more visual and meditation with yantras, geometrical chakra images, can work better.
If you are an active person and need to move and sweat, yoga asanas for chakras can do wonders to balance your chakras. If you are less active and want to relieve stress and bring peace to their mind, try meditation and mantra chanting.
You can balance the vibration of your chakras with colours and sounds.
Stones and crystals can help you attract the right energy to each chakra. Stones and crystals harvest specific frequencies of energy and deliver it to the chakra for healing.
You can balance chakras with food. Food for healing chakras is based on using the chakra’s colour vibration that matches the same colour food. The theory about food for chakras is that by eating food of the same colour of the chakra, you can bring that vibration to your body by eating it.
Affirmations for chakras bring the power of thought and sound to the chakra in need. Affirmations resonate with the vibration of the intention you have for that chakra.
Regardless of the technique, you use to heal your chakras. Each of them can support you in your journey of chakra healing.
Chakra Healing with Stones and Crystals
Crystals and stones have been used for centuries for their therapeutic power. The power of stones and crystals is not back up by science. So, it may just be a case of belief and faith and let the power of your positive thinking do the job.
Whether the power of your thoughts or the power of the stones and crystals is what brings healing to your chakras, you can use them and see improvements in your health. The placebo effect is real; it’s the power of your mind believing you will heal.
Crystals and stones are believed to have the power to channel energy. When you place a crystal or stone on your body, it allows the energy of a specific vibration to flow into your body. These vibrations help to align your body, making areas in your body vibrate at the same frequency of the crystals or stones.
Crystals and stones may not be enough to cure your ailments, but they can help you create a more peaceful environment to help on your healing process.
Find the crystals or stones for each of your chakras. There is a little ritual you should perform before using your crystals or stones for healing.
Wash them under running water before you use them and leave them under sunlight or under full moonlight to purify them. You can use different shaped stones and crystals. The size isn’t essential, even if they are small, they will still work.
Chakra Healing with Sound
Life experiences cause trauma, fears, and insecurities that upset your energy body. These experiences can block your life force, or prana, getting stuck in some areas, or maybe not receiving enough energy. When this happens, you have an imbalance in your chakras and you are more prompt to physical and mental ailments.
You can bring balance to your chakras with sound. Each chakra vibrates to a specific frequency. When you give that same frequency to your body, your chakra realigns to it, and you get the energy you need to be vibrant and healthy.
Sound healing is a therapy that uses sound frequencies to harmonised the mind and body of a person. There is a tremendous amount of sound instruments you can use to heal your chakras.
Tibetan singing bowls, gongs and tuning forks are the most ancient and popular instruments used for chakra healing. A newer variation is the crystal singing bowls and crystal pyramids.
During a sound healing session, the sound healer can use many different musical instruments to balance your chakras.
The typical musical instruments used for sound healing are drums, rattles, hand pan, wooden flute, Koshi chimes, bells, guitar and any other tool to tune a specific chakra. So, that each chakra comes back to balance, you can also use your voice and mantra chanting to balance your chakras.
Just make sure you are playing the right musical note for each of your chakras.
Chakra Healing Meditation
Healing meditation for chakras brings energy to each of your chakras one by one, starting at the bottom of the spine at the root chakra and going up to the crown chakra.
Here’s how you can prepare for the chakra healing meditation:
- Find a quiet place where you won’t be disturbed.
- Sit cross-legged on the floor or a chair, keeping your back straight. You can also lie down on your back.
- Remain in silence for a few minutes, breathing deeply.
- Feel your body, identify any tension and let it go at every exhale.
Here’s how to start the chakra healing meditation:
- Starting at the tailbone in your root chakra imagine a red light glowing and spinning at its centre. Place your hands at your groin area. Feel the energy from your root chakra pulsating at the rhythm of your breath. Meditate at the root chakra for 3 minutes.
- Bring that energy up to your sacral chakra. Place your hands at your pelvis area. Imagine a warm orange light glowing, spinning and expanding at the rhythm of your breath. Meditate at the sacral chakra for 3 minutes.
- Move the energy from the sacral chakra to your solar plexus. Place your hands above your navel. Imagine a warm, orange light spinning and pulsing at the rhythm of your breath. Meditate at the solar plexus chakra for 3 minutes.
- Move the yellow energy to your heart chakra. Place your hands at the centre of your chest and imagine a green, blue light expanding at your heart chakra. Feel the energy expanding and pulsating at the rhythm of your breath. Meditate at the heart chakra for 3 minutes.
- Bring the green light up to your throat chakra. Place your hands lightly at your throat area. Imagine a blue light rotating and expanding out of your throat area with every breath. Meditate for 3 minutes at the throat chakra.
- Expand the blue light up to the third eye chakra. Place your hands on your face with the tip of your index fingers touching the third eye point in between your eyebrows. Imagine an indigo light spinning and pulsating at the rhythm of your breath. Meditate for 3 minutes at the third eye chakra.
- Bring that Indigo light to the crown chakra. Place your hands at the top of your head. Feel the purple light spinning and expanding out of your head into your surroundings. Feel the energy pulsating at the rhythm of your breath. Meditate for 3 minutes at the crown chakra. Feel how your body’s energy merges with the universe, and the universal energy comes back to you to heal you.
You may find that chakra healing meditations are beneficial if you combine them with their Beeja or seed mantra. Sing each mantra as you move up through each chakra.
- Root chakra – LAM
- Sacral chakra – VAM
- Solar plexus chakra – RAM
- Heart chakra – YAM
- Throat chakra – HAM
- Third eye chakra- AUM
- Crown chakra- AUM
Chakra Healing with Essential Oils
The idea of healing the chakras with essential oils is based on two things:
The properties of the oils for having an energising or a grounding and calming effect on each chakra.
Aromas affect the limbic system. They affect emotions, memories, behaviours, and physiological functions. In this sense, essential oils have a psychological and physical effect on you.
Each essential oil has specific herbal properties. Some of these oils have been used for centuries as an alternative medicine to treat some ailments.
To bring balance to the chakras, you first need to know which chakra(s) is out of balance. Then you need to see if the chakra is underactive or overactive.
Once you know if there is one chakra or more affected, you need to select the oil(s) to activate the chakra(s). Choose the oil(s) to energise, if the chakra(s) is underactive. Select the oil(s) to ground, if the chakra is overactive.
You can use only one essential oil or a combination of oils to balance your chakras, depending on their level of activity.
Always use essential oils that are therapeutic grading or even better food graded. Essential oils can be used directly on the skin, but you need to be careful because they may irritate the skin. If that’s the case, you can dilute them in another oil known as a carrier oil. A good carrier oil is almond oil.
Sometimes it isn’t easy to know the right proportion of essential oil to balance the chakras. Most oils will have general directions of use. If you can, go to a professional aromatherapist or a chakra healing expert who works with essential oils and can do the right proportion mix for you. The proportion of mixing the essential oil and carrier oil varies.
In general, using essential oils for chakras consists in:
- Applying the essential oil to the chakra area.
- Waiting for the essential oil to be absorbed before you put clothing on.
- Thinking of attracting healing energy to the area of your body which is out of balance and enveloping your whole body with white healing energy.
- Enjoy the smell throughout your day!
Chakra Healing with Food
Food can help you to support, balance, and heal one or all of your chakras. When your chakras are in harmony, you can enjoy good health of body and mind.
When your chakras are balanced, and your body is nourished, your energy field is shining bright. Things in your life will flow with ease. You radiate pleasant energy, so people want to be around you, your relationships will improve, and you will have mental clarity and alertness. You will be aware of your emotions and have the opportunity to act on them, or not.
Food has vibrations according to the way it grows and the colour it has.
These two qualities relate to the properties of the chakras. By eating food with similar colours or properties to those of the chakras, you can give your body that same vibration of energy to heal and support your chakras.
By eating food that energises and balances your chakras, you can have better health. The colour of the chakras is like a rainbow. The colour of the rainbow is the first guidance you have when eating food for healing your chakras. Food with the same colour as the chakra will support it energetically.
Please pay attention to the quality of your food, energetically is more important than its quantity and acknowledge your emotions around food.
Here are some changes you can implement in your life when you are trying to balance your chakras:
- Eat fresh organic food; it has the most energy of all. Try to find local food if possible.
- Before you start eating, take a moment to thank the universe for the nourishment you are about to receive.
- Eat slow, chew your food and enjoy the flavours in each bite.
- Observe how you feel while eating and try not to talk much during your meal.
- Observe when you have a food craving if it is something your body needs or something you are addicted to.
- Drink plenty of water (filtered if possible).
- Don’t drink too much caffeine or alcohol.
- Avoid consuming drugs.
Chakra Healing with Colour
Colours are associated with each chakra. The vibration of each colour can help to bring the chakra associated with that colour into balance.
These are the colours each chakra is associated with:
- Root – Red
- Sacral – Orange/Vermellion
- Solar plexus -Yellow
- Heart – Green/Blue
- Throat – Light blue
- Third eye – Indigo
- Crown- Purple
Each colour has a meaning that further supports each chakra.
- Red is a colour that symbolises strength, activity, energy and passion.
- Orange is the colour that represents optimism, youth, spontaneity, emotions, warmth and creativity.
- Yellow is the colour of happiness, optimism, energy, confidence and inspiration.
- Green represents harmony, safety, health, growth, prosperity, hope, and luck.
- Blue/turquoise symbolises compassion, calmness, communication, clarity, peace and empathy.
- Blue is the colour of security, trust, loyalty, responsibility, peace, honesty, reliability and protection.
- Purple is the colour of spirituality, imagination, wisdom, inspiration, mystery and magic.
Chakra Healing Affirmations
Affirmations are positive statements about something that exists or is true. You can use affirmations to associate positive meaning to each chakra. Through affirmations, you can focus on an intention for each chakra. You can focus on an aspect you may want to heal in each chakra.
Every time you consciously make an affirmation, you are taking control over your subconscious. You are sending the message that you are taking responsibility for your life. So you can create something pleasant in your life.
The awareness of your thoughts can show you the way you are thinking. Making an affirmation for each chakra can help you support something specific you want to heal in each of them.
Here are a few examples of affirmations for the chakras. You can be creative and make your own for the specific purpose you need it in each chakra.
- Root chakra – I feel supported and grounded. I can provide for myself and others.
- Sacral chakra – My creative energy flows to all aspects of my life. My sexual energy expresses through my creativity and sensuality.
- Solar plexus chakra – I have the power to do what I want and need. I love myself.
- Heart chakra- I love myself and others. My heart and soul release the pain and are filled with love instead.
- Throat chakra- I can express my thoughts and feelings. I honour my true self.
- Third eye chakra- I trust my inner wisdom to guide me. I let my intuition guide me.
- Crown chakra- I am part of the cosmos. I am connected and protected by the Divine light.
Chakra Healing Asanas
There are some yoga asanas you can do to bring balance to each of your chakras. Asanas align the energy in your body. You can practice some of these poses to heal or to bring balance to your chakras. You may be familiar with some of these poses, and others may be new to you.
Here are some of the poses you can do for each chakra:
Healing Asanas for the Root Chakra
- Mountain Pose or Tadasana
- Warrior One Pose or Virabhadrasana
- Lotus flexion or Padmasana
- Squatting pose or Malasana
- Head to knee pose or Janu Sirsansana
- Bridge pose or Setu Bhandasana
- Knee to chest pose or Pavanamuktasana
- Corpse pose or Savasana
- Crow pose or Bakasana
Healing Asanas for the Sacral Chakra
- Seated pelvic circles
- Butterfly pose with a forward fold or Baddhakosana
- Cobra pose or Bhujangasana
Healing Asanas for the Solar Plexus Chakra
- Boat pose or Navasana
- Seated spinal twist or Matsyandrasana
- Warrior 1, 2 and 3.
Healing Asanas for the Heart Chakra
- Cobra pose or Bhujangasana
- Camel pose or Ustrasana
- Bow pose or Dhanurasana
- Cow face pose or Gomukhasana
Healing Asanas for the Throat Chakra
- Prayer pose or Pranamasana
- Camel pose or Ustrasana
- Bridge pose or Setu Bandha Sarvangasana
- Shoulder stand or Salamba Sarvangasana
- Plow, Plough or Halasana
Healing Asanas for the Third Eye Chakra
- Child’s pose or Balasana
- Dolphin pose or Ardha Pincha Mayurasana
Healing Asanas for the Crown Chakra
- Mountain pose or Tadasana
- Headstand or Salamba Sirsasana
- Downdog or Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Fish pose or Matsyasana
You can use one or a combination of techniques and therapies to balance your chakras. The best way to do it is by trying each of them. You will experience that some treatments work better for you and others don’t do much.
The most important thing is that if you have recognised that you have symptoms of an imbalance in your chakras, you bring awareness to these areas of your body.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Chakra Healing?
Chakra healing refers to techniques used to bring balance to your chakras. Chakras can get out of balance due to life experiences that cause you some sort of trauma either physicological, physical or emotional. Chakra healing aims to allow the energy to flow freely through each of your chakras.
How to Heal Chakras?
Chakras can be healed with various methods such as yoga asanas, pranayama, mantra chanting, and meditation. You can also use healing techniques that aim to balance the energy flow in your chakras such as stones and crystals healing, sound healing, chakra meditation, essential oils, food for chakras, colours, and affirmations.
Which Chakras Need Healing?
You can recognise a chakra that needs healing by the symptoms you may be experiencing. When a chakra is out of balance, you will experience emotional and physical symptoms that can give you an indication of whether or not one or more of your chakras needs balancing and healing.
Signs Your Chakras Are Healing?
You will start feeling alive, the symptoms you were experiencing in one or more chakras will be less problematic, or it may even disappear. Each person is different, so you will need to bring awareness to your mind and body to understand how you feel.
A wool yoga mat will eventually get dusty or dirty. Do you know how to clean it? Wool needs to be clean in a more gentle way than other fabrics. A wool yoga mat can be clean in different ways,...
Handwoven wool mats have been around for thousands of years, but now they are becoming more versatile and turning into yoga mats. Handwoven wool yoga mats are perfect for calm yoga types such as...