Did you know that chanting a powerful mantra can help you bring harmony in all areas of your life? Gayatri Mantra is one of the most powerful mantras you could chant.
Gayatri Mantra is one of the oldest Hindu mantras. The Gayatri mantra is a chant to the Sun as a prayer, a hymn, and a meditation. Gayatri mantra is the mantra of self-transformation, creativity, and protection. Chanting the Gayatri mantra will bring love and compassion to your heart, truth to your speech, and inner wisdom.
Mantra chanting is one of the most powerful ways to raise your vibration. You can benefit from chanting a mantra due to the effects of its sound. The Gayatri mantra is one of the mantras with beautiful meaning and also powerful sound to bring our being in harmony with the Cosmos.
What is a Mantra?
Mantras are sounds considered sacred in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Yoga. You can find mantras formed by one syllable or a combination of syllables.
The original mantras are in Sanskrit, but today you can find them in various languages. The word mantra in Sanskrit means “the thought that liberates and protects.”
The mantra’s power lies in the sound, in the vibration it produces.
Mantras will benefit not only to the person chanting it but also the listener. Chanting a mantra the right way can help you release energy from your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual bodies.
By just listening to the mantra, you will benefit. A mantra affects your body, mind, and spirit, bringing harmony to all your being. A mantra can activate and speed up your creative spiritual force. It will help you to direct this energy to your benefit or the benefit of others.
What is Gayatri Mantra?
The Gayatri Mantra is one of the oldest Hindu mantras. The Gayatri Mantra is a prayer, a chant, and a meditation, all at the same time. The Gayatri Mantra belongs to an old tradition of oral transmission hymns from the Vedas. The Gayatri Mantra is about 3000 to 4000 years old.
The Gayatri Mantra is a chant to the Sun and the Divine Creator of the Universe. You can honour the Sun and express your gratitude to the life-giving Sun or Surya. As Gayatri Mantra honours the Sun is best chanted in the morning before starting your day. However, you can also chant it at night.
Chanting the Gayatri Mantra brings you protection, creativity, and energy. Gayatri mantra calls for you to take action. The force behind the Gayatri Mantra is Fire.
You will make your Surya Nadi stronger by chanting the Gayatri Mantra. You must be careful with the Gayatri mantra and not bring too much solar influence on you. Keeping the Fire balanced with Water is important. So, that your Moon energy and your Sun energy are balanced.
You can use the Gayatri mantra to transform yourself and your life. You will be more honest with yourself and with those around you. You will be able to speak your truth.
Gayatri Mantra Meaning
The Gayatri Mantra is a 24 syllable mantra in Sanskrit.
Om Bhuur-Bhuvah Svah
Bhargo Devasya Dhiimahi
Dhiyo Yo Nah Pracodayaat
The pronunciation of any mantra is very important.
Om bhoor bhu-wah swa-ha
Tat savi-tur varen-yam
Bhar-go de-va-sya dheem-a-hi
Dhiyo yo nah pra-cho-day-at
Let’s explore what each of these syllables means.
- Om- it’s the primordial sound of the Universe. The sound essence that created everything that exists.
- Bhuur- means the existence on Earth, the Consciousness in the physical plane, the Consciousness of Prana, and the Consciousness of the Divine mind.
- Bhuvah- refers to the absolute Consciousness of God. The boundlessness of God to permeate everything.
- Svah- indicates the omnipresence of God in the entire Universe. God manifested in the physical world and in every entity in it.
- Tat- means ‘that’. Tat is used in Sanskrit to denote the third person, having an implicit idea of selflessness. The person chanting the mantra praises God and directs the chant to God.
- Bhargo- means the radiance, the glorious light of God. The purity of God’s love and power and his ability to purify those that come into contact with him.
- Devasya- means meditating in the Divine.
- Dhimahi – means to meditate and focus our mind to perceive the Divine.
- Dhiyo- means intellect in Sanskrit. May our intelligence and wisdom be influenced by the Divine.
- Yo- means ‘who’ or ‘that’, which will awaken our understanding and wisdom.
- Nah- means ‘our’ and signifies the selflessness of the request we make. We offer the Gayatri Mantra to the Divine, and our request is for the whole of humanity, not just for ourselves. So, we are all benefiting from the prosperity and generosity of the Divine.
- Prachodayat – this word is the request we make to the Divine for guidance and inspiration. We ask him to remove the darkness of this illusionary world. We ask him to direct our energy through the chaos of this world, to find sanctuary in the tranquillity and peace of the Divine, to find bliss.
How to chant Gayatri Mantra?
- Prepare the space to do your meditation or chanting practice.
- Choose a quiet place, where you won’t be disturbed, and you will keep away from too much sun, or drafts.
- Sit down on a chair or cross-legged on a cushion.
- Keep your back straight.
- You may get cold during the chanting, so put a jumper or a shawl over your shoulders.
- Close your eyes and focus on your third eye.
- Have a few deep breaths to calm your mind.
- Set your intention for your chanting.
- Rest your hands on your lap or over your thighs with palms facing up.
- You can use a mala to count your mantra chanting repetitions.
- Gayatri mantra can be chanted 3, 12, 24, or 108 times. For best results, it’s better to chant it 108 times.
- The best time to chant the Gayatri mantra is in the morning before sunrise or in the evening after sunset.
Gayatri Mantra 108
The number 108 in yoga is one of the most auspicious numbers you can come across. The number 108 is also present in ancient traditions and numerology.
The number 108 is related to the geometry of our Solar System and to the whole Universe. You can get the diameter of the Sun if you multiply the distance between the Sun and the Earth by 108.
You can also get the diameter of the moon if you multiply the distance between Earth and Moon by 108.
Many mantras are to be chant 108 times to put you in harmony with the vibrations of the Universe. The Gayatri mantra is not an exception. Chanting 108 times will bring you in harmony with the vibration of our Solar System and the Universe.
Chanting the Gayatri Mantra 108 times you will get the most benefit from this mantra. The Gayatri mantra can harmonise your life and your whole being with the Universe. Everything in your life and health will prosper and flow better.
Gayatri Mantra Benefits
The Gayatri mantra is considered one of the most powerful mantras you can chant. The Gayatri Mantra can help you remove obstacles that are in your path for spiritual growth and development.
You will be more open to receiving the wisdom of the Universe. As you chant the Gayatri mantra, the energy in your body will flow better. This, in turn, helps to balance your chakras. The pronunciation of the mantra is important to receive benefits.
Here is a list of the benefits of chanting the Gayatri mantra.
- You will be able to concentrate better.
- You will improve your power of speech.
- You will learn quicker.
- Your life will be more prosperous.
- You will be protected from danger.
- You will be more relaxed.
- You will be able to connect you to your spiritual path.
- You will connect to your intuition.
- Your health will improve by boosting your immune system.
- You will have better relationships.
- You will have more positive thoughts.
Gayatri Mantra During Pregnancy
During your pregnancy chanting the Gayatri mantra will bring you calm and peace. So anytime you are stressed, worried, or fearful connect to the infinite Divine wisdom of the Gayatri mantra.
You and your baby will ground and feel safe.
If you are calm during your pregnancy you will experience fewer problems. You will also have an easier delivery. Your baby will be a more joyous and trouble-free baby.
You will be creating a positive, loving environment for your baby while he or she is still in your womb and at the same time, you will be creating the right vibrations for when he or she is born. Chanting the Gayatri mantra will reduce anxiety and depression you may be experiencing during pregnancy.
When you finish chanting the Gayatri mantra you and your baby’s heart will be filled with love and compassion.
Chanting the Gayatri mantra can nurture intellectual qualities into your unborn baby. Your baby will grow to have a strong spirit and inner wisdom.
Gayatri mantra will help you mould your unborn baby into a loving, compassionate being that will be guided by their intuition and the wisdom of the Universe.
Mantras are sacred sounds that will help you raise your vibration. You will be in balance with the Universe and life will flow effortlessly for you.
The Gayatri mantra is one of the most powerful mantras. Chanting the Gayatri mantra will raise your vibration bringing benefits to all areas in your life. Chant the Gayatri mantra aloud for 108 repetitions to achieve the best results. You can chant the Gayatri mantra in the morning or in the evening.
Hopefully, by now you learn more about the Gayatri mantra and how it can benefit you.
Frequently Asked Questions
When to chant the Gayatri mantra?
The Gayatri mantra is a chant to honour the Sun as a life-giving Deity. So it is best chanted in the morning before sunrise. However, you can also chant it in the evening just after sunset. Learn more
How many times the Gayatri mantra should be chanted?
You can chant 3, 12, 24, or 108 repetitions of the mantra. For best results chant it 108 times. It may take you around 40 minutes. Learn more
Can the Gayatri mantra be chanted at night?
You can chant the Gayatri mantra in the evening just after sunset. Learn more
Is Gayatri mantra good during pregnancy?
Yes, chanting the Gayatri mantra during pregnancy is very good. It will bring you calm and compassion. Your unborn baby will develop their intellect, inner wisdom, and be in harmony with the Universe. Learn more
Can the Gayatri mantra be chanted by ladies?
Yes, women can chant the Gayatri mantra. Learn more
Do you like yoga, and do you also have a dog? Well, you have just fulfilled the two requirements to start a new experience called Dog Yoga. Dog yoga is a trend that has been around for almost 20...
Is goat yoga real? This must be the first question coming to your mind if you think of goats doing yoga. It was certainly mine. First, I thought it was a joke, but it’s not. If you after a new...